Have You Suffered From Severe Adverse Effects After Taking Testosterone Replacement Therapy Drugs?
With the increasing demand for Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), drug manufacturers are continuing to market testosterone injections, gels, creams, and patches, claiming that these will better sexual performance, as well as increase energy and mental alertness.
However, serious safety concerns associated with these drugs are being ignored. The Massachusetts injury attorneys at the Attorney Injury Group are dedicated to fighting for the rights of patients harmed by dangerous pharmaceuticals.
Heart Attack Risks and Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT)
Studies have found that men taking testosterone replacement are more susceptible to heart attacks and are at increased risk of stroke, cardiovascular problems, and heart disease. In fact, results of several studies released in 2013 and 2014 suggest men double their risks of a heart attack in the 90 days after beginning a testosterone replacement regiment.
Testosterone may also stimulate the growth of prostate cancer cells.
TRT therapy has only been approved by the FDA for men who have low levels of testosterone caused by medical conditions which limit the testicular production of the hormone. However, manufacturers continue to market the drugs as a solution for an array of conditions such as low T levels due to aging.
A typical male’s testosterone level ranges from 300 to 1200 ng/dl (nanograms per deciliter) and declines with age. Men over 40 commonly test near 300 ng/dl, which may cause treatment providers to double or triple the amount of testosterone in the bloodstream, which still technically keeps a patient within “normal” limits.
Common side effects of TRT therapy include reduced liver and renal function, acne, breast enlargement, depression, nervousness, paranoia, difficult urination and mood swings.
TRT Therapy: Methods of Delivery
- Axiron®: Manufactured by Eli Lily. Alcohol-based 30mg testosterone solution designed for underarm application
- Clinics nationwide, continue to offer prescriptions or onsite injections of testosterone cypionate, testosterone enanthate or testosterone propionate
- Testim®: Manufactured GlaxoSmithKline. Available in 5.0g containing 50 mg testosterone
- Topical gels and creams:
- AbbVie, formerly the research-pharmaceutical arm of giant Abbott Labs, has won FDA approval for AndroGel®, available in doses of 40.5 mg or 20.25 mg of testosterone. The gel is available by prescription for home use
- Transdermal testosterone: Approved testosterone patches available in the United States include Androderm® (manufactured by Actavis™) and Testoderm® (Various manufacturers)
If you or someone you love has suffered heart problems while undergoing testosterone replacement therapy, contact the Attorney Injury Group at 617-934-7000 for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights.
The Attorney Injury Group will fight to protect your rights. If you or a loved one suffer from adverse effects after taking testosterone replacement therapy drugs call the experienced dangerous drugs attorneys at the Attorney Injury Group for help. Call us today at 617-934-7000 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call our experienced Massachusetts personal injury lawyers, we will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you.
At the Attorney Injury Group, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Call the Attorney Injury Group for Help, Fighting for You Is What We Do!