Have You Had to Undergo a Revision Surgery?
For many who underwent hip replacements with Stryker® Rejuvenate or Zimmer® products.
The Dangers of the Stryker Rejuvenate System and Zimmer products
The Stryker Rejuvenate was recalled in 2012 because of the serious damage the hip replacement product was doing to patient’s health. The Stryker Rejuvenate not only has a high failure rate, but a variety of complications can occur including:
- Metallosis: A toxic build-up of metal ions in the body that can affect the thyroid, heart, nervous system, kidney, muscles, lymph nodes and liver.
- Bone fractures as a result of poor fixation of the implants.
- Osteolysis: Bone breakdown.
- Necrosis: Tissue death.
- Pseudo-tumors: A collection of fluid and metal flakes in the body that resembles a tumor.
Unfortunately, once the Zimmer products actually started to be used by patients, it became clear that there were serious problems, which were confirmed by independent researchers after the product’s release. For example:
- A 2007 study of patients who used the LPS Flex System showed that the femur replacement component loosened in 38 percent of patients after two years. While most knee replacements should last for between 15 and 20 years, the study in Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery reported that around 56 percent of patients in the study needed a revision surgery because of serious pain caused by the Zimmer knee replacement systems.
- A 2010 study of 166 patients who used the LPS Flex system showed that 30 of the patients experienced loosening of femur replacement components. Patients experienced a lack of stability in the knee, fractures and other complications.
- A March 2010 study in the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons reported that 8.3 percent of 108 patients required a revision surgery and 39 percent of patients showed loosening of the replacement knee components.
In many cases, when patients experience these complications, at least one revision surgery was necessary. The patient has to cope with the pain of the complications and potentially undergo a painful and expensive surgery as a result of the dangerous hip implant product.
The Attorney Injury Group will fight aggressively to protect your rights. If you or a loved one received a revision surgery from call the experienced defective medical device attorneys at the Attorney Injury Group for help. Call us today at 617-934-7000 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call our experienced Massachusetts personal injury lawyers, we will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you.
At the Attorney Injury Group, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Call The Attorney Injury Group For Help, Fighting For You Is What We Do!