Boston Burn Injury Lawyers
Experienced burn injury attorneys in Boston
According to the American Burn Association, approximately 486,000 Americans suffered burn injuries in 2016 all of which required some form of medical treatment. Each year 250,000 of those injured are children, roughly 15,000 require hospitalization and about 1,100 die each year from fires and burns.
Burn injury victims are often left with painful physical and psychological injuries that bring along hefty medical bills and financial difficulties due to lost wages. The Boston burn injury lawyers at Attorney Injury Group can help you with a variety of different claims including:
- Apartment building fires
- Boating accident burns
- Chemical burns
- Construction accidents
- Defective products
- Electrical burns
- Fireworks Injuries
- Gas explosion
- Locked fire exits
- Motor vehicle accident burns
- Premises Liability Claims
- Radiation accidents
- Recreational fires (nightclub, hotel, restaurant, retail outlet)
- Scalding water and pipes
- Workplace burns/ workers’ compensation
Understanding Burn Injuries
Burns not only affect the skin, but can also cause serious injuries to muscles, nerves, blood vessels and bones. Burns are some of the most complicated injuries with effects lasting up to years depending upon the severity.
There are one of four sources that burn injuries usually stem from – thermal heat, chemicals, radiation or electricity.
- Chemical burns typically occur when the skins tissue has been exposed to a corrosive substance usually with a strong acid or base. One can also get a chemical burn when the chemical is inhaled through toxic fumes, steam or smoke.
- Electrical burns are caused by electricity passing through the body often resulting from industrial accidents, including contact with damaged electrical cords, electrical outlets or high-voltage wires causing severe internal injuries.
- Radiological burns are those caused by X-rays or in radiation therapy often used in cancer treatments. Sunburns and tanning bed burns also fall into this category.
- Thermal Burns are generally caused when a person has made contact with heated objects, such as boiling water, steam, cooking oil, or fire. The most common type of thermal burn is a scald.
Burn Injuries and their Severities:
- First-degree burns. Defined as superficial wounds usually resulting in damage to the first layer of skin. One can experience redness, swelling and minor pain all of which heals on its own and does not cause any permanent damage to the skin.
- Second-degree burns. Both the epidermis and the dermis are affected from this type of burn. A majority of the time these burns do not require surgery, but scarring is possible followed by pain due to sensitivity, redness and blisters on the skin.
- Third-degree burns. These are among the most severe cases of burns affecting all layers of the skin including underlying tissue. One’s skin might become brown or leathery usually requiring a skin graft surgery or transplantation to have to take place.
- Fourth-degree burns. The burn extends into the muscle and bone causing it to be fatal to the victim.
Recovering Damages Burn Injuries
There is compensation available to burn victims, but it varies depending greatly on the circumstances surrounding the injury. When you work with Attorney Injury Group, a Boston burn injury attorney will work to understand your situation so that you can get the money you deserve.
Take for example, if a worker suffers a severe burn on the job they may first be able to secure workers’ compensation from the employer, as well as pursue a third-party litigation against the site owner. If the case is severe resulting long-term injuries in which the worker is unable to return to work and perform the required tasks, they could become eligible to receive Social Security Disability Insurance.
If a child is injured from a burn the parent or guardians may be able to secure compensation from the property owner or insurance company held liable through a personal injury lawsuit.
The Attorney Injury Group will fight aggressively to protect your rights. If you or a loved one suffer from burn injuries call the experienced serious injury attorneys at the Attorney Injury Group for help. Call us today at 617-934-7000 for a FREE, confidential consultation. When you call our experienced Massachusetts personal injury lawyers, we will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you.
At the Attorney Injury Group, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and we don’t get paid until you do. Call today to learn how we may be able to help.
Call the Attorney Injury Group for Help, Fighting for You Is What We Do!